You can be relatively care free and go all out partying back at home or a familiar environment. But there are a few guidelines to go by when drinking (or other favors) in a new and unfamiliar country:
1) Don’t venture too far from your hotel / hostel as getting back late night could be a difficult task.
2) Try to confirm a ride back before getting drunk by making sure taxis are available close by and late.
3) Be extra careful of safety in regards to you and your belongings as being a drunk tourist makes you a prime target for thieves.
4) Stick to a friend or with groups as this significantly increases your safety and knowledge of the surrounding area.
5) Only get piss drunk if your accommodations is in walking distance and you have nothing to do the following day.
-Photo by EVASER